Pranayama is a central discipline of Patanjali’s Raja Yoga (Asthanga) and of Hatha Yoga. It occupies a pivotal position between basic practices (like behavior deconditioning, purification and poses) and more spiritual practices.
Pranayama is a universe on its own which has several facets. The word itself can be broken down in two ways:
- Prana – Yama: breath control;
- Prana – Ayama: expansion of Prana.
This discipline regroups several physical and subtle techniques to reach higher states of consciousness.
This new YogĀrkana exploration is split in three parts:
- Preparation for Pranayama: exposes the theoretical and practical bases;
- Techniques of Pranayama: explores the different techniquese;
- Practice of Pranayama: proposes ways to integrate these techniques into a regular practice.